Sri Lankan-style Sweet & Sour Aubergine13.5.2019
A fantastic vegetarian recipe courtesy of Waitrose. You can find more recipes on their website.
Grilling the aubergine slices before frying them means you don’t need to use more oil in the pan.
- 2 large essential Waitrose Aubergines
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Handful dried curry leaves
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 x 250g pouches brown basmati rice
- Preheat the grill to 240ºC. Trim and cut the aubergines into 0.5cm-thick slices, halving any larger pieces, then arrange on a large foil-lined baking tray (don’t worry if they overlap; they will shrink as they cook). Grill for 5 minutes, then turn over and grill for another 5 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan or wok over a medium-high heat. Add the spices and salt, then cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes and curry leaves, then cook, stirring, for another 2-3 minutes.
- Tip the aubergine into the pan, toss everything together for 2 minutes, then add the mustard, vinegar and sugar. Fry for another 2 minutes until combined. Serve the aubergine with the rice cooked according to pack instructions, plus natural yogurt and chopped coriander, if liked.